Business Trial and Litigation Lawyers
Plainitiff and Defense Trial Lawyers
Bet-The-Company and High-End Complex Business Law Civil Litigation Cases
WHEN YOU HAVE A LOT AT STAKE AND SECOND-BEST WON'T DO
Welcome. When losing is not an option, we are your first call. When other law firms tell you it can't be done, we often do it (In fact we trademarked: "If We Can't Win Your Case, It Probably Can't Be Won". Whether you are the person filing or receiving the State or Federal lawsuit, our staff of San Diego trial lawyers can help. Our 33 years of experience as a law firm, San Diego Trial Lawyers (many more years of combined experience of course) have taught us many tricks of the trade and we can share them with you to offer you the advantage you can't be without; hardball is our favorite sport.
We have represented all sizes of companies with their problems and the fact that one of the country’s top negotiators is our lead attorney has helped tremendously…we rarely go to trial…we resolve the problem, and you save a lot of time and hundreds of thousands in litigation costs. We treat litigation as a war game…and with San Diego Trial & Employment Lawyers, it’s all about strategy and a plan, and that is why we prevail, time and time again.
-All updates are free of charge, we call and e-mail you regularly, communication is standard operating procedure here
-Every time you call us, the first 10 minutes are free, it shouldn't cost for you to talk to your attorney about your case
-At any given time, you have a complete copy of your case, as we constantly update you
-If we ever bill for calls to or from you or anyone, they are billed to the exact minute, no rounding up to .25 or that kind of thing
-We are high-level researchers. As a medium-sized firm, we spend approximately $2400 a month on online legal research databases. Our pleadings win in court because they are well-written, well-researched, succinct, and thorough; they have to prevail.
-All clients have the lead attorney as their case lead, and can talk to the person with the most experience; you are not lead by a junior lawyer
-We only hire people who are high-level and bring something to the table; we are constantly complimented on our staff (HR recruiters have been trying to steal our staff for years and we stopped advertising their name when we discovered this)
-We are updated on the areas of law in which we work; we attend the seminars, we read the updates, but more importantly, we study strategy, and know it.
-Our pricing is fair and reasonable. All of our bills are highly documented, no surprises; clients use them as a case history
-Oftentimes a specialized area requires special research or special consultants to guide us; most times we absorb those costs
-We are not a low-level law firm copy-and-pasting. We have high-level, dedicated, and intellectually sophisticated people who are devoted to their craft
EXAMPLES OF RECENT SUCCESSES
(all 100% documentable but not for the public due to confidentiality agreements)
- The client was sued in Superior Court by two ex-employees. They lived in different cities so two different law firms were hired. Each one was seeking $350,000, for a total of $700,000. We were on the cases for about 4 months. Both cases were settled for $5,000 each with 6 months to pay. We did not litigate these cases, this was all a result of high-level negotiation.
- Another client was sued by his former employee seeking unknown damages. We developed a strategy to assist the client as rapidly and effectively as possible without protracted and expensive litigation. We were on the case for 6 weeks or so; the other side dropped the case completely.
- A client wanted us to file a lawsuit against someone for a certain amount (confidential). We felt the case was stronger than she did. We sent out a highly detailed, researched, and documented demand letter. We settled the case for 4 times what she was asking without spending a penny on litigation. Total time- about 3 weeks.
- A client was sued for $750,000 in federal court. We decided the best defense is a strong offense. We filed a valid counter-claim (the name for a federal lawsuit back to the person who sued you. Within 3 months the other side was willing to settle for no money changing hands, each party bearing attorney's fees (hers were substantially less than theirs).
- We filed a lawsuit on behalf of a client. The defendant had been sued on this type of issue before and they had an idea of what the case was worth. They made an offer according to that sum. Our lead attorney negotiated. We settled for 5 times that amount.
- We filed a demand letter on behalf of a client. Yes, the client had some serious issues with evidence and could not prove their case very well, but had a legitimate complaint. We did not file a lawsuit. The other side offered nothing throughout the whole case. We created a strategy. We settled for $100,000 without any litigation.
- We represented a doctor. He had entered into a contract that was not working as it should (we have to be vague here as again, confidential). He had tried for two years to find relief from this contract and was unable to do so, costing him a lot of money every year. He hired lawyers who could not get him out of it. We created a brief and complex negotiation strategy. It ended in 24 hours' time.
IF YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR A FIRM THAT CAN GET THE JOB DONE...TALK TO US....THEN DECIDE
Relentless, Strategic, Successful!
There is a reason other trial lawyers, doctors, politicians, & CEOs who can afford ‘anyone’ choose ‘our’ firm….our strategies, and our civil trial lawyers!
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Civil Trials
- Superior Court Litigation
- Federal Court Litigation
- High-Level Negotiation and Mediation
If You Want Peace...Prepare For War (author unknown)
Many trial lawyers treat a lawsuit as something they can work through over a long period of time in order to generate a large amount of fees. We are not about that. We would prefer to exceed your expectations as to results and cost so that you feel you are doing your friends a big service by referring us.
We have clients who fly in from San Francisco and drive from LA; there is no shortage of lawyers in those cities. Don’t get us wrong, in some cases that lawyer is on the other side and he or she forces you into a costly position. There are, however, a number of strategies you can employ in order to make it come to a halt more rapidly. Not all trial lawyers are aware of these methods or can execute them with skill. We are business people first, lawyers second. We get the job done. We know you have better things to do and money is always an issue. However, you are in a lawsuit and need to deal with the litigation; let's make that as palatable as possible for you. Call us to understand how our trial lawyers can be very strategic and stretch your dollars; (619) 793-4827
Before our San Diego trial lawyers share our strategies with you, let us outline litigation. There is State and there is Federal litigation. Once a lawsuit, also called a complaint, is filed, you have a certain number of days, 30, in which to file an answer. Once an answer is filed, there is a long stretch between that period of time and the trial. In that time period, normally 2 events can take place: discovery, and motions. Discovery is where you obtain information about the other party’s case using a number of tools such as Requests for Admission Requests, for Production, Interrogatories, or Depositions. Motions are where you ask the court for something that you want to happen. Depending on how aggressive you want to be in discovery, your fees can stay low or get high. Very few cases make it to trial for many good reasons. The key is successful discovery. Discovery is an art, it is not what it looks like. Call us and speak to one of our trial lawyers who can demonstrate how things in this area of law are not always what they seem. The key is knowing what to do and how. We get the job done, the first time.
Let’s say you want to file a lawsuit with someone who did something wrong. You can prepare a lawsuit and file it with the court, have it served, and away you go. Now you are forced into spending money. There are two alternatives: negotiation and creating a lawsuit without filing it (see below). At the end of the day, litigation is as much a game of strategy as it is a game of law. As they say, he or she who has the best lawyer wins; or another one is, whoever says you can’t have it all, hasn’t met my lawyer yet. There is an art to law. Our San Diego Trial Lawyers are strategic and this is no different than a good chess game. Each move has pros and cons. You have to know what moves to execute, how, and when. This is where we shine. This is what we enjoy about our work. CHECKMATE!
One alternative is to have us negotiate the case. Negotiation is very different than arbitration or mediation. It is rapid (usually takes a week) and its goal is to preserve the relationship amongst the parties (which is why it is so useful in domestic disputes). Our lead attorney, Steven Riznyk, has undone kidnappings, extortion, blackmail, and career destruction over the phone, in a week, with NO money changing hands (the hard part), so if you have something that critical and complicated, we can probably negotiate your issues rapidly and to your satisfaction. Just something to think about. To learn more about negotiation, visit our Negotiation Page.
Preparing a Lawsuit Without Filing
Very few litigation attorneys will tell you about this because they cannot make a lot of money using this. However, what you can do, is prepare a fully-prepared federal or state lawsuit and not file it. Now you have something to negotiate with as often what the other party wants to experience is that you have some grounds to stand on and they must know that you will pursue your claim. If that is the case, you will often find that simply preparing the lawsuit and sending it to them will do the job. However, if they do not comply both you and the other side realize that there will be consequences as this sort of maneuver has no value if you don’t later go through with it. If you bluff and the other party eventually takes action against you, they will later not believe that you will stand behind your word.
Discovery in Litigation
One of the tools we have found very useful is that of research. In one deposition our litigation attorneys conducted, we researched the person being deposed and his lawyer. When the critical time came in a deposition our litigation attorney presented a lawsuit that his lawyer had prepared ‘against’ him and had never served for whatever reason. He fired the lawyer and the case was settled in 5 minutes. The power of discovery is not just in finding out what every litigator can, it’s in finding out what takes work to discover. This is where we shine. We have a number of resources available, least of which the brilliant people who work for us and can cut to the chase of a complex issue in minutes to understand what is really at stake and what needs to be done to put the matter to rest. We are not here to churn the case and make money that way. We are here to get you the results you want so that you make SanDiego Trial & Employment Lawyers your first call when you ever need a trial lawyer in the future.